Senior Legal Counsel (AUSTRALIA)
Renewable Energy Leader BayWa r.e. Australia
BayWa r.e. is a global renewable energy powerhouse, leaders in wind, solar, storage, and hydrogen in 30 countries. BayWa r.e. Projects Australia is a relatively new fast-growing female-led team given full rein to express its considerable abilities.
Recruiting Senior Legal Counsel
r.e think your career
Make the change. Join us. Find purpose.
We succeed as a high-performance team through respectful collaboration, continuous learning and innovation. We are activists for gender equality and diversity, reflected in our workforce which scores way above industry standards. We are bonded and find purpose together in the common goal of wanting to fight climate change with renewable energy.
Our culture is supportive, with a generous new parental leave benefit. We promote flexibility, wellbeing and work-life balance operating under an innovative flexible hybrid working model with office hubs in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, and Hobart.
Our team are passionate about decarbonising the economy through renewable energy, the Senior Legal Counsel’s role is to ensure we can do just that.
The position is for an enabler of the renewable’s revolution. You will:
- Analyse and explain complex legal issues and give legal advice in a concise manner that can be understood by non-legally trained team members.
- Lead negotiations to close contracts with landholders, NSPs, AEMO, financiers, OEMs, contractors and service providers, other relevant authorities, and stakeholders.
- Manage the resolution of disputes that may arise from time to time, including arbitration or litigation.
- Provide general commercial legal support, drafting, negotiation, and review of a wide range of agreements, in particular, confidentiality agreements, service agreements, terms sheets, joint development agreements, construction contracts, operations and maintenance agreements, offtake agreements and finance agreements.
- Provide legal advice that balances risk mitigation with commerciality sound recommendations for resolution.
- Provide basic legal awareness training for team members.
- Keep a watching brief on corporate compliance and advise directors of their duties and changes in law that are relevant to the business.
- Manage external legal advisors as required.
- Manage the Australian business’ legal relationship
- Help keep our business safe.
- Be resilient, a collaborative worker who enjoys an entrepreneurial environment.
- Be a forward thinker, a problem solver who actively seeks opportunities, proposes solutions and thrives on continuous improvement.
- Have a high level of discretion, tact, people skills and an ability to maintain confidence.
- Ability to adapt to ambiguity and changing situations quickly.
- Achieve high-performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Have sound command of the English language and strong communication skills with the ability to build effective relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- A naturally welcoming and optimistic disposition easily developing and maintaining harmonious rapport based on mutual trust and respect.
- Must have strong experience in renewable energy project development, construction / procurement, project financing, PPA negotiations and corporate governance.
- Experience in M&A and dispute resolution experience would be highly regarded.
- LLB or equivalent legal qualifications gained at a reputable law school.
- Admitted to practice law in an Australian State or Territory
- 8 to 12 year PQE in Australia with experience gained at a reputable law firm with strong renewable energy industry exposure or in an in-house team performing a similar role.
- Understanding and experience of the Australian electricity market.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment and concurrently manage a portfolio of small and large matters.
- Take ownership of matters and have a commercial outcome focused mindset.
- Ability to work autonomously and collaboratively with people from different professional disciplines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English. German language skills would be well regarded.
- Strong competency with all Microsoft Office applications.
Why you should join our team:
- You want to make a positive contribution to our planet and use your world class knowledge to set new standards in renewable energy. We are the ideal employer for all who want to make a difference and drive innovation for a sustainable future.
- We provide a flexible working environment so that you can maintain a positive work-life balance.
- You will be part of the BayWa group, a family of globally successful businesses.
- We are diverse and inclusive with a strong culture focusing on employee wellbeing.
We value a diverse workforce, so please come as you are.
We look forward to your application!